Wednesday, November 10, 2010

New Series: Featured Photos!

Another test. Incidentally, this is a photo I took of part of the rules poster displayed in the window of a pachinko parlor in Kabuki-cho. I think it’s the last photo I took before I was left there to die, actually… hahaha, hitchhiking and ADVENTURE!



Hi, everyone! This is co-pilot Anna reporting for duty. If you are reading this you are invited to send in photos for a new series of posts: Featured Photos by IICers and alums!

The rationale behind this is series is that many of us have been, lived in, and worked in amazing places around the globe. IICers have done PeaceCorps, taught English abroad, interned for governments / corporations / non-profits, taken part in service-learning trips, and traveled just for fun -- so why not share where we've been with the world?

Starting today, let's inject this blog with a little eye-and-mind candy. Send me photos of people, places, Nature, art, adventure, food -- anything that gives us a glimpse of other cultures and reminds us of the wonderful vastness of the globe. Your photos can be profound or simple, professional or low-quality point-and-shoots like mine (aw); and they can make us dream of bakeries in Paris or reflect on poverty and conflict in Rwanda.

To help you feel less shy about your photography, I'll kick things off with one of my pics -- a photo of part of the world-famous spring matsuri (festival) in the town where I lived: Takayama, Japan!


(Note that while the traditional dress is awesome, the best part of this photo is the kid freaking out on the left. I tried to take very serious "National Geographic" style photos of events in my town, but people would always recognize me and react by grinning, waving, pointing, or making peace signs. So, if you want to see dragon dancers taking their dragon heads off to talk to me or a series of flute players all eyeing me out of the corner of their eyes, I'm your girl. :P)

EDIT: Ah, almost forgot to share that I took the top photograph, as well! It is one of the many curiously specific rules I saw displayed in the windows of pachinko parlors in Kabuki-cho, Tokyo. It also applies to this photo project -- no nasty photographs, please!

Your turn! Please send your photos to messinger dot 11 at gmail dot com!

No comments: